So, what has happened in 16 years? Maybe it would be easier to say what hasn't happened. Here are just a few things that have happened. We have. . .
- had three kids.
- moved 7 times, all in the first 7 years.
- traveled 1,909 miles, 4 days, in a U haul, with a 6 month-old, and a sedated cat, from Orem, UT to Pittsburgh, PA, stayed 6 months, then turned around and traveled 1,909 miles, 4 days, in a U haul, with a 1 year-old, and a sedated cat from Pittsburgh, PA to Orem, UT.
- been to California at least 6 times.
- (Peter has) worked for 6 different accounting firms.
- bought a house.
- had to declare bankruptcy once.
- amazingly enough, neither one of us has been kicked out of the house after an argument.
- just since Danny's been born, we've had to call poison control 5 times (fortunately, it's never been serious!)
- owned three cars, only one has been new.
- I have had major hip surgery, knee surgery, and been on crutches for, cumulatively, over a year of our married lives together.
- had the following pets: rats, fish, turtles, frogs, lizards, mice, parakeets, and so many cats that I can't even count. Right now we have two cats. (I have to admit that the pets are all my fault - well, some of them have been Heather's fault.)
- had countless computers and, but I don't think we've ever bought a brand new one.
- for the first 2 1/2 years of our marriage we didn't have a T.V.
- managed to stay out of debt for the past 7 years (excluding our mortgage.)
I think kids have added more of everything to our marriage: more happiness, more yelling, more smiles, more grief, less time together alone, less sleep, less boredom, less selfishness, less money, more laundry, and etc. We've joked that we'd be better parents if we didn't have kids. I cannot imagine life without them. It's hard to explain, but even when we didn't have them it seems like they were always there, they just hadn't been born yet.
With all that said, this post is dedicated to Peter - Happy Anniversary, Honey! Even though it seems like we're going through the "poorer, sickness, worse" part of our marriage lately, Happy Anniversary!